If you purchased your domain through Top Producer or realtor.com®, there is nothing to do – we have taken care of it for you already!
If you have registered your domain through another Domain Name Registrar, you will need to configure your domain to point to your new website. The steps to configure your domain differ slightly between registrars. Tutorials for several of the more popular registrars are included at the bottom of this page. For other registrars, please visit their support website for more information.
In order for your domain to point to your website you must update the DNS (domain name server) addresses from your registrar’s default settings to be the servers belonging to Top Producer/realtor.com®.
- Find out which server IP your website is hosted on. You can use a public tool such as https://www.site24x7.com/find-ip-address-of-web-site.html to look up the address. Simply visit the site, type in your website preview address (i.e. username.topproducerwebsite.com) and click Find IP. Your website IP address will be displayed. Make a record of this IP address for a future step.
- Log in to the administration control panel of your Domain Registrar. Locate and open the area of of the control panel that manages the A(host) records. If you are unsure where this is, please contact your Registrar or Top Producer Customer Care websites support.
- There will commonly be one or two A (host) records set up as part of your domain registration (which tell the registrar where the domain should direct visitors), which will currently be pointing to the registrars default page. Edit the A record to remove the existing entries and replace them with your website IP address obtained in the above step. Ensure you only change records that have either a @, *, or www as part of the entry. Save.
Note that it commonly takes 24 to 48 hours for domain name changes to take effect.
Important: If you have an existing email address associated with your domain (i.e. email@example.com), please let us know before you make changes to your DNS settings. Changing the DNS settings will affect your email.
Configuring your Website to use your Domain
After you have updated the DNS addresses within your registrars control panel, please follow the steps below to add your domain to your Website.
- Login to your Websites account.
- From the Quick Tools section of the main page, click on Manage My Domain Names and Email Addresses.
- From the Domain Manager click the Add Domain link.
- Enter your domain name in the Enter Your Domain Name www. text box.
- Click OK.
Note: Ensure the domain name you enter is exactly the same as provided by your registrar and that it contains only valid characters. Valid characters consist of letters, numbers and periods “.”. Do not enter “www” in the space provided as it has already been entered for you. Example: mydomain.com
This process configures the website servers to send visitors to your website when your domain is entered into the address bar of an Internet browser. The changes should take effect within 48 hours, but can often happen much faster.
Domain Registrar Tutorials
Follow the links below for step-by-step instructions to configure DNS for some popular registrars: