Welcome to Week Five of Search Engine Optimization Self-Directed Learning
This week we will explain how to create an XML Site Map and get them added to Google Web Master tools and Bing Master Tools.
Creating XML Sitemaps
In order to properly use either Google Webmaster Tools or Bing Webmaster Tools, an XML sitemap should be submitted to them for indexing. Thankfully, creating an xml sitemap for your website is very easy if you make use of one of the free online xml sitemap generators that exist online. For the purposes of this course we will use one of the best online XML sitemap generators, XML-Sitemaps.com.
Once finished, right-click on the link below Download un-compressed XML Sitemap and save the link/target somewhere on your computer as “sitemap.xml”.
Uploading the XML to Your Site
In order for the sitemap to be accessible to a search engine, it must existing somewhere on your website. The best place to upload the xml sitemap file is the main directory or root public folder of your site.
If you are using Top Producer Websites, there is a built in tool for uploading files to the root folder. To use it
- Login to your Website Control Panel: www.topproducerwebsites.com
- Click on Edit Site.
- Click on Update My Site Options and scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click on Browse and choose the sitemap.xml created in the previous set of steps.
- Click Upload. Once the file is uploaded its address will be yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml
Adding Sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools
- Login to Google Webmaster tools. (If you don’t know how to use Google Webmaster Tools, Google has provided learning resources here.)
- Click Site Configuration.
- Click Sitemaps from the drop down menu on the left.
- Click Submit a Sitemap, and type in the address to your sitemap.(Example: http://yourname.com/sitemap.xml). Google will now index all the pages in your sitemap.
Adding Sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools
- Login to Bing Webmaster Tools. (If you don’t know how to use Bing Webmaster Tools, Bing has provided learning resources here.)
- Click on the Sitemaps tab.
- the address of your website’s new XML sitemap (Example: http://yourname.com/sitemap.xml)
- Click Submit. Bing will now index all of the pages in the sitemap.