Welcome to Week One of Search Engine Optimization Self-Directed Learning.
In this first week we will discuss how you can effectively use links and banner ads to increase traffic to your website.
Driving traffic to your website
A key way to increase your search engine ranking is by driving traffic to your site using incoming links and including your website address on any marketing materials that you send out. Included below is a checklist of different way to increase the traffic coming to your website.
- Have friends, associates and family link to your website from their website
- Include your web address on flyers
- Add your web address to local directories
- Include your web address on your email signature
- Place ads in newspapers that include your web address
- Include your web address on business cards
- Add your web address to your lawn signs
- Include your web address on forum signatures
- Link to your web site from Facebook, Blogs and Twitter
Using Banner ads to increase traffic
Another way to increase traffic to your website is through the use of banner ads. These are the ads that you see displayed after doing a search that is targeted at the type of search your are doing. For example if you do a search on Real Estate, all the ads displayed will be Real Estate related.
There are a variety of companies that offer this type of service at varying rates. Listed below are three of the major banner ad distributors.
- Microsoft Ad Center: https://adcenter.microsoft.com/customer/SignupPreview.aspx?adv_market=en-us&s_int=118
- Google: http://adwords.google.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ads